Patrick Dempsey's acting and racing careers will be intermingled for the foreseeable future.

Dempsey, a driver/owner racing in the Rolex 24 at Daytona endurance event this weekend, confirmed Saturday night that he has signed a two-year contract extension to continue with the popular television series Grey's Anatomy. The show has not officially been picked up beyond its 10th season, but Dempsey's deal provides a strong indication that it will be back.

Double life

Dempsey also plans to run a full season in the United SportsCar Championship.

Dempsey said the acting gig has been a huge help to his other full-time job. Dempsey and co-driver Andrew Davis are racing 13 events — which would be the actor's first full season.

Scheduling around races

He said his TV bosses do "a remarkable job scheduling around these races now, and I wouldn't be able to do it without them. The fact that they continue to let me race is remarkable in itself, so I am grateful for that and grateful to have employment that is known around the world. It gives me a platform to come and do this type of thing, and it helps the sponsors. I'm lucky to have the gig."

When the 48-year-old Dempsey was asked whether he's had any thoughts about giving up acting for racing, he said, "When I grow up, I want to race full time."